Sunday, June 24, 2012

Would You Jump Too?

                                                           
 
 A question that has for many generations been attributed to moms and dads when speaking to their children is, “if everybody else in the world jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?” Of course they are looking for the word “no” as the preferred answer. It is a question intended to ground an unthinking or unaware person into reality and it has worked in countless situations without question, until now. Just maybe, we should look at the reality that this adage foists upon us! The question has to do with making dumb choices in life so I do understand the intent. What I am questioning is how the underlying principle is arrived at in this instance. As I have thought about the logical “no”, I began to explore the other side of that question and ask myself, “would I really want to live all by myself?” I mean, if everyone else does jump, would I really want to do life alone? I have to confess that prospect scares me even more than jumping off the proverbial bridge!
For a person, who has mostly tried to play it safe in life, this is an unusual outlook. There were days in my life when I was much less self aware and I would have not only said “no, I would not jump” but may have also asked if those who were going to do so needed a push. Now, more than ever before I’m leaning toward taking the plunge, too!
 I am so glad for those whose lives point to the fact that life is best lived with others and the alternative is really no choice at all. God commanded man to “be fruitful and multiply” in order to fill the earth, and I think, to create the substance for communion, fellowship and parties! I know that it doesn’t fit in with the “Just Me and God Theology” so often preached today and that is fine with me because I believe that doctrine is in gross disregard of what God really intends life and salvation to be about! In fact, when God saw that man was “alone” (in fellowship with only God Himself) He entered again into His creative work to fix that problem with the end result being the creation of dogs, cats and Eve. With all theological intent laid aside at this point, when faced later with the possibility of once again living alone with the dogs and cats, Adam chose to take the plunge.
So, It is with great appreciation that I salute those who do God’s work of providing the means for a good party! I am glad they have taken the plunge, saying to the rest of us, “I don’t want to do life alone” and then make preparations for others to join in this dance of life and love, together.



1 comment:

  1. I remember always thinking to myself that it depended on why they were jumping off the bridge in the first place. What if they were attempting to save someone from drowning. Also I thought how high is the bridge and how deep is the water. Of course these are not the answers I gave to my parents. In retrospect maybe I should have. We always must strive to see the bigger picture in all of our choices in life.

    ReplyDelete