Saturday, December 8, 2012

He LIVES IN A HIGH AND HOLY PLACE, AND...

For this is what the high and exalted One says
    he who lives forever, whose name is holy:
“I live in a high and holy place,        Isa. 57:15a
God declares his Holiness. High, exalted and eternal in existence; He lives in a high and holy place. God is entirely the Holy Other, unique and completely different in all His ways! This statement calls upon those who would be called by His name to approach with fear and trembling. He is transcendent. We have not seen His likeness nor encountered His ways, even if we could somehow make our way to His heavenly abode, His radiance would blind us.
Personally, I like the thought of a high and exalted One. While this world spins through its starry course, enduring those who would literally knock it off its ordained path; I find it comforting to have One in place, even if His station is too high for me, who is untouched by the madmen and god imposters. With this picture of our Sovereign in my heart and mind, I am not shaken by the weakness that is inherent and evil which is so prevalent mankind.
The only problem with this picture is that even though I know I can’t approach that high and holy place (because of my association with and relationship to those things weak and evil) there remains a need to do just that! And further, I not only need to approach Him for salvation but I want to draw near because of Him. I want to see God, know God and feel God even if I can’t fully understand Him.
So each year, when the cold wind blows the dead leaves from trees, and the dark hours rule our day I am reminded of the fact that the God who lives in a high and holy place visits my dark days with the incredible light of hope. He who in His demands for Holiness inspired the first part of the story finishes it with a promise:
    “but also with the one who is contrite and lowly in spirit,
to revive the spirit of the lowly
    and to revive the heart of the contrite.”    Isaiah 57:15b
And its fulfillment:
And Mary said: “My soul glorifies the Lord
   and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has been mindful
   of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
   for the Mighty One has done great things for me—
holy is his name.   Luke 1:46-48
The amazing promise of Isaiah 57:15, that God would live with those who are lowly in spirit and of contrite heart is fulfilled in Mary. She recognized God’s mindfulness of her humility and the fact that it opened the door for her to receive certain and enduring blessing.
As another year comes to a close with days cold and ruled by darkness, I once again realize my great need to draw close to Him and my absolute inability to do so if it were not for a young woman and a trusting Carpenter who were recipients of the high and holy One’s promise. I still like the scripture picture of God Most High as it fills a need that I have for security, but I also enjoy God Most Nigh who comes to me in my humble state of contrition and need.

Father,
You are great and mighty, there is no one like you. I know that no one cares for me like you. Surely as the heavens are higher than the earth, your ways and thoughts are higher than my ways and my thoughts. You are Holy, but I am shaped by thoughts and desires that are not from you.
I humble myself before you, trusting in your grace and mercy. During this advent season help me to prepare my heart to continually receive you in the home of my heart. Reveal to me my errors and show me your ways. Come, Lord Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment