Friday, August 28, 2026

Sunday Dinner


Dinner after church on Sunday was always a challenge. Jane and I were tired and ready for a nap by the time we got away from the church facility and to the restaurant. Our boys, well, they were a different story. After being “penned up” in the respectable atmosphere provided by Sunday School and Children’s Church, they were energized by a different spirit! 

I think we were in a back room at Po Folk’s in Anderson, SC, and although we were trying hard to be good parents, I, for one, was ready to abdicate the throne of power. There was an older couple dining at the table beside us whom I didn’t look over at because I was embarrassed. I was relieved to see them finish their meal and head to the counter to pay, leaving my wild bunch alone to complete the massacre of another good meal. My relief was short-lived, though, as the white-haired gentleman reappeared in our room and headed straight to our table, where he threw down several dollar bills. Thinking he intended to leave a tip for the server, I said, “Sir I think you have the wrong table,” pointing to where they had previously sat. But the old gentleman just shook his head and, with a smile, said, “No. It’s the right table. I haven’t seen a show that good in years and felt like I should leave you a tip!”

That couple’s generous spirit redeemed the day for us as we all laughed about “our show!” In our seventies now, the boys and their families are scattered around; Sunday dinners are different, and we miss those times. When led to our table for two, if I see several boys eating with their parents, I think back and say to Jane. “Let’s just pick up something to go!” We laugh and leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment